The Motto: Vidya Dadati Vinayam
The motto ‘Vidya dadati vinayam’ enshrined in the emblem of the college is a part of the Sanskrit shloka taken from the ‘Hitopadesha’ that reads as:
विद्या ददाति विनयं विनयाद् याति पात्रताम् ।
पात्रत्वात् धनम् आप्नोति धनाद् धर्मं ततः सुखम् ॥
vidyā dadāti vinayaṃ vinayād yāti pātratām |
pātratvāt dhanam āpnoti dhanād dharmaṃ tataḥ sukham ||
It means “Knowledge makes one humble, humility begets worthiness, worthiness creates wealth and enrichment, enrichment leads to right conduct, and right conduct brings contentment.”
Translated literally, VIDYA means ‘knowledge’, DADATI means ‘gives or imparts’, and VINAYAM means ‘humility’. But at deeper level Vidya is both knowledge and power. It has inherent values as well as utility for life; it is illuminating and enlightening. It demands disciplined devotion to the pursuit of Truth. It develops in its votaries an attitude of tolerance, open-mindedness, freedom from prejudice, and penchant for new ideas. In order to succeed in life, first and foremost, what we need is Vidya; and in the absence of humility, reverence for ideas, grace and nobility at heart, we cannot be knowledgeable in real sense of the term. Therefore, to lead a life full of contentment we need to acquire knowledge (Vidya) first.
Vision & Mission of the College
Dera Natung Government College, Itanagar, a premier institute of higher education has its own vision and mission as given below:
- Learning and achieving today; Leading and serving tomorrow
- Encourage students to work for the good of others in the society
- Imparting holistic and quality education within the reach of all
- To contribute to India and the World through inculcating excellence in the realm of education and research; and to serve as a fruitful resource for industry and society; and remain a source of pride for all Indians.
- To nurture human potential to such an extent so that intellectually capable and creatively visionary leaders can emerge in various professions.
- To develop individuals who are morally upright, intellectually well-informed, socially concerned, emotionally balanced, physically well-developed and culturally accomplished;
- To develop a scientific temper by countering superstitions, and pernicious customs like child marriage, caste system, female foeticide, dowry, gender bias, regionalism etc;
- To guide individuals towards social welfare and to nurture creative and resourceful minds, who think big, think fast and think ahead, who care for the nation and the weaker sections of society, and imbibe humanistic and patriotic passions and values.
- Recognise and nurture the unique qualities of all our students and staff and to strive for the creation and maintenance of an environment that is caring, safe and rewarding
- Serving the needy and the Nation with humility, respect and honour
- To mould intellectually competent, morally upright, socially committed and spiritually inspired persons capable of building a more human social order within the context of the nation’s plurality of religions and diversity of cultures.